In an effort to enhance the student reflection experience in our school-wide activities, staff initiated a monthly blogging activity. We task students with creating one blog per month on pre-determined professional workplace skills topics. We trained students on how to create an effective blog, as well as how to respond to a blog entry. Staff selects a winning entry from each program and students respond to the winning entries. We hand out awards certificates to winning entries.
Why Student Blogging?
- Allows students to express and hone their creativity.
- Promotes academic integration in career and technical education courses.
- Regular writing sharpens the brain’s performance.
- Promotes expression of self.
- Boosts student confidence.
- Improves communication skills.
- Students gained “know-how” that can enrich and benefit their CAVIT experience.
- Students were able to speak their mind.
- Students expressed “finding themselves” and “finally understanding” when reading or writing blog entries.
- Winning entries received constructive feedback from student peers.
- Blogging allowed students to develop unique content and express their CAVIT experience perspective to others.